By THE ALASKA STORY
May 23, 2026 – A man identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best of Maryland was shot and killed Saturday evening after authorities say he opened fire at a White House security checkpoint, triggering a chaotic scene just steps from the executive mansion and forcing journalists and staff to seek cover. Although Nasire is an Arabic name, he appears to have been a US citizen.
According to the Secret Service, the shooting occurred shortly after 6:10 pm near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, adjacent to the White House complex. Officers reported that the suspect pulled a handgun from a bag and began firing at the checkpoint. Secret Service agents returned fire, striking Best. He was transported to George Washington University Hospital, where he later died.
No Secret Service personnel were injured, although at least one bystander was wounded during the exchange of gunfire. Authorities said late Saturday it remained unclear whether the bystander was hit by rounds fired by the suspect or by return fire from officers.
President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time of the incident and was unharmed. The complex was briefly locked down as federal and local law enforcement swarmed the area.
The shooting marks the third gunfire incident in the vicinity of President Trump in the past month, raising renewed concerns about security threats around the White House.
Court records indicate Best had multiple previous encounters with law enforcement and the Secret Service tied to activity near the White House in 2025. In July of last year, he was arrested after allegedly attempting to enter a restricted checkpoint area while ignoring officers’ commands to stop.
A judge subsequently issued a stay-away order barring him from White House grounds, but records show a bench warrant was later issued after he failed to appear for a follow-up hearing.
Additional reports indicate Best had previously been involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility after obstructing vehicle access near the White House complex in June 2025. Authorities also said he had been flagged as a known individual by security personnel after repeated loitering near entry points and inquiries about accessing restricted areas.
Investigators are also reviewing social media posts allegedly tied to Best in which he made bizarre religious claims and referenced violence against President Trump. Some posts reportedly included comments about the attempted assassination in Butler, Pennsylvania, suggesting he could have carried it out differently.
Law enforcement officials have thus far characterized the case as appearing tied more to mental health issues than to a clearly defined political ideology, although the investigation remains ongoing.
Saturday evening’s gunfire unfolded in front of members of the White House press corps, many of whom were gathered nearby preparing live reports. ABC News correspondent Selina Wang posted dramatic cellphone video showing the moment rapid gunfire erupted in the background as she ducked for cover inside the media tent area.
FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed federal authorities were responding to the shooting and said additional updates would be released as investigators gathered more information.
The scene remained locked down for hours Saturday night as investigators marked shell casings and examined evidence scattered across sidewalks outside the White House perimeter.
The latest incident comes less than a month after federal prosecutors alleged a California man attempted to assassinate President Trump during the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner in April. Another shooting near the Washington Monument earlier this month also resulted in a suspect being shot by Secret Service officers after allegedly firing at law enforcement. Trump has dodged the bullet with at least two other known assassination attempts since he ran for office in 2024.




One thought on “Gunfire erupts at White House checkpoint; armed suspect killed by Secret Service agents”
The bad fruit of sending children into the public schools; they are not learning patriotism, respect for America and its founding principles and documents, and no respect for God and parents nor others.
Its overdue that there isn’t tens of thousands more children pulled from a public school. Their lives depend on their parents pulling them from public schools.
Now. The poor boy is probably burning in hell. His life was so short to which the bible does warn continual Disobedient children to their parents will be abruptly cut off and lives cut short.
“Honor your father and mother, so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy LONG life on the earth” Ephesians 6:1-2
21 years isn’t a long life