By SUZANNE DOWNING
Aug. 16, 2026 – A lengthy multi-agency manhunt ended Wednesday when troopers arrested a 44-year-old Alaska man wanted on fraud and escape charges carrying more than $2 million in combined warrants.
Charles R. Yingst was taken into custody Aug. 12 at a residence in Big Lake after investigators determined he was staying there, according to the Alaska State Troopers.
A Fairbanks-based Criminal Suppression Unit conducted an extended surveillance operation before making the arrest. Palmer-based troopers and members of the US Marshals Service provided immediate assistance, allowing authorities to arrest Yingst without incident.
Yingst had reportedly been missing since July, when he cut off an electronic ankle monitor and fled house arrest in North Pole. He was wanted on multiple warrants connected to several fraud and escape cases.
The combined value of the warrants is unusually large, reflecting the number and seriousness of the pending cases.
Yingst has a lengthy history of allegations involving theft and fraudulent business transactions.
In 2018, a Palmer grand jury indicted him in an alleged scheme involving at least 17 victims and approximately $340,000. Additional people later came forward, bringing the alleged losses reported at the time to more than $482,000.
Investigators said Yingst would allegedly offer to obtain vehicles, heavy equipment, engines or repair services and collect cash or cashier’s checks from customers.
When the promised equipment failed to arrive, Yingst allegedly gave customers explanations involving shipping problems or other delays. Troopers said in 2018 that he had previously faced theft and scheme-to-defraud charges in Fairbanks in 2008 and Palmer in 2012.
The latest arrest followed weeks of investigative work after Yingst allegedly removed his monitoring device and disappeared. Troopers did not disclose how investigators traced him to the Big Lake residence.
Yingst remained in custody Sunday at the Mat-Su Pretrial Facility in Palmer.




